For me September always feels like a fresh start- a second new year if you will. I find myself setting new goals, organizing materials, cleaning spaces, brainstorming new ideas, and starting fresh routines. In my mind it is a fall reset and I love it! Today I thought I would share with you 5 goals that I have set for the 2018-2019 school year.
1. Read more! My bedside table, work desk, bookshelves, and kindle app are FULL of books just waiting to be read. Fiction, nonfiction, adult, young adult, children’s books....name a genre and I probably have an example of it waiting to be read. This year, I'm going to read them! As many as possible. Do you have any recommendations?
2. Stay organized! Did you see the Tuesday tip I put out this week about being organized? Well, I have decided to take my own advice. The filing cabinet in my office has been de-cluttered, paperwork filed, and my husband and I had a yard sale recently to clear out the attic. Now that things are organized, I just need to keep it that way!
3. Listen and learn! As M. Scott Peck said, ““You cannot truly listen to anyone and do anything else at the same time.” When I get busy, or just feel busy, listening becomes hard. Hard, but important. By taking time to listen I actively engage in a learning experience and the person I am listening to- be it a teacher, parent, student, or friend- feels cared for and supported. So, my goal, is to slow down so I can listen and learn.
4. Routine! I am definitely a creature of habit. Sometimes it takes a while to establish a new routine but once it sticks I follow it. This school year I want to create for myself a morning routine that gets me mentally, physically, and emotionally ready for my day. Likely this means getting up earlier which I do not look forward to but we all have to make sacrifices right? I’m hopeful my morning routine will involve a cup of coffee while reading a book, a short walk, and some writing. I would love to hear how you start your school year morning off right if you wouldn’t mind sharing in the comments below!
5. Lists! The school year is so busy and it is very easy to let certain tasks and activities fall through the cracks. My solution is creating lists and notes. By using an app like Evernote along with the “stickies” on my laptop I can bust through my to-do list, respond to everything in a timely manner, and have more time for fun!
As you and your family are starting a new school year what are your goals? How can you make this the best year ever? As always, Hyperion is here to help you and your family experience academic success!
Leave a Reply.